It might have been a sign from God. Some High Rise North residents who observed Yom Kippur yesterday were unable to cheat by drinking tapwater during their day-long fast. A water pipe leak on the 24th floor of the building forced residential maintenance workers to shut off water to rooms on the ninth floor and above, Director of Residential Living Gigi Simeone said yesterday. The leak, which forced the emergency shutdown at about 4 p.m., was found in a riser pipe -- a pipe which carries water up through the building, according to officials. Simeone said she expected water to be turned back on at about 8 p.m. after workers soldered the pipe. She said that the department had not received many complaints from students and that, upon learning of the disruption in service, Residential Living posted notices advising students of the problem. "It's kind of a coincidence that it happened on Yom Kippur because just when you're tempted to turn on the water, nothing comes out," College junior Adam Rosenbluth said. Rosenbluth said that he noticed the problem around 4 p.m. High Rise North receptionist Susan Siegel said she only had about five calls from students in the hour following the shutdown. "Most people thought it was just a problem in their rooms," she said. (CUT LINE) Please see WATER, page 2 WATER, from page 1 'It's kind of a coincidence that it happened on Yom Kippur because just when you're tempted to turn on the water, nothing comes out.' College junior Adam Rosenbluth College junior