Arthur Ross, philanthropist and art patron, will receive an honorary degree from the University on October 21 for his contribution to the arts, including the campus gallery which bears his name. According to Dilys Winegrad, assistant to President Sheldon Hackney, the awarding of Ross' degree is being timed with the 10th anniversary of the Arthur Ross Gallery, which is located in Furness Library. Ross will be honored at a "mini-convocation" in a private ceremony of friends, family and University Trustees held in Eisenlohr, President Hackney's home, she said. Winegrad, who has written honorary degree citations for over 10 years, said that Ross -- who is described as "a corporate director and trustee" -- is "not being honored because he's given money [to the University]." "The reason is because this is a man who has been extraordinarily philanthropic for the arts," Winegrad said last night. Ross, an overseer of the University's School of Fine Arts, is also a trustee of Barnard College, the American Academy in Rome and the Cooper-Hewitt Museum. He is also an art collector. Winegrad added that the current exhibit at the Ross Gallery is loaned from Cooper-Hewitt in honor of the gallery's 10th anniversary. According to University Associate Secretary Duncan Van Dusen, the University Council and Trustee's honorary degree committees "met and concurred separately" to give Ross the degree. Winegrad said that there was "no consideration" to waiting for the University's May convocation when honorary degrees are normally given. She added that with the timing of the Ross Gallery's 10th anniversary celebration this fall, it seemed appropriate to hold a "mini-convocation" to give Ross the degree. Winegrad said that honorary degrees have been given at special commemorative convocations almost every other year. But this practice, she added, will be discontinued in the future. Winegrad said she did not know the exact reason, but that "[the Trustees] probably felt it was becoming too common."