Practically, the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education is trying to make students aware of all educational opportunities at the University. Following the model of The Practical Penn, a comprehensive guide to student life at the University, SCUE has begun to distribute the first-ever The Practical Scholar, a manual which compiles academic information about all four schools at the University. The first book of its kind, The Practical Scholar includes important information from 25 different University publications, SCUE Chairperson Hallie Levin said yesterday. "[In the past], it has been difficult for the four schools [Nursing, College, Wharton and Engineering] to work together to provide a University-wide cross reference," Levin, a College senior, said. The book includes a section on each undergraduate school, discussing graduation requirements and course selection; sections on different administrative offices on campus, such as advising, computing and career planning; and sections on academic programs and options. Besides the informational material included in the publication, The Practical Scholar also contains essays from University students, faculty and alumni on various academic issues. Levin, who is also the executive editor of The Practical Scholar, said the University will use the book for three purposes -- as an informational, promotional and fundraising tool. · It will be sent to prospective University students, along with The Practical Penn, to inform them about the educational opportunities at the University. · Current University students will be able to use the publication as a cumulative resource for academic questions, although Levin said students should double-check the material in the manual to insure that the most current information is included. · Donors to the University will receive the publication as evidence of the opportunities available at the University and also as evidence of a successful student-run effort. Levin said that Rick Nahm, vice president for development and University relations, has already sent 200 copies to University Trustees and large donors. She also said that Provost Michael Aiken gave SCUE "really good" feedback and that he plans to distribute The Practical Scholar to all administrators and faculty members. Students will receive The Practical Scholar by the end of September through distribution in University residences and fraternity and sorority houses. Students who live off-campus will be able to pick up the publication with their student directories later this month in the Penn Student Agency's Houston Hall office. Levin said this "one book lays before you the most complete array of opportunities academically at Penn." SCUE leaders said that many times, students miss out on opportunities, not because of disinterest, but because of lack of knowledge. The 130 pages of The Practical Scholar contain entire sections on fellowships, honors programs and career services. "[Before The Practical Scholar] there has never been a publication written by students that attempts to speak as peers to its audience," said Levin. And David Haynes, SCUE vice chairperson, said yesterday that he has gotten positive responses to the book since its debut last May. "[Freshmen have told me that] it is very useful to have everything in one volume," said David Haynes, SCUE vice chairperson. "That much access so early is great and one of the goals of the publication." The Practical Scholar, which was funded by the Class of 1927, is the final product of two years of work by SCUE, Levin said. To keep it accurate, SCUE plans to update the publication every three years, Levin said. SCUE, which is one of the five branches of student government, acts as a liaison between the University and undergraduates on academic issues. It serves as a "think-tank" for academics, Levin said. "We were approached by the University [in the Fall of 1990] as a group that might be competent to produce something like this," she said. "Every person I've talked to, including myself, wishes this had [been in print] when they were freshmen," Levin said.