Assistant Vice President for Commonwealth Relations James Shada will resign from his position as the University's chief lobbyist by the end of the month, he announced today. Shada, who has been the University's main liaison with the state and federal government, said yesterday that he is retiring for "reasons of health," but did not elaborate. This news comes on the heels of the announced resignation of Executive Vice President Marna Whittington. Whittington will also step down this month. Whittington said yesterday that Shada "is going to be a very, very difficult person to replace." Paul Cribbins, director for City and Commonwealth Relations and Shada's assistant for more than four years, will assume the vice president's duties until a replacement is found, Whittington said. Whittington said that a search for Shada's successor has not yet been started. In a statement released by the University, Whittington said that Shada "has worked tirelessly on the University's behalf, forging a strong relationship with our leaders in Harrisburg." Shada, who spent much of his time in the state capital, lobbied on behalf of the University for state funding and favorable higher education laws. But the University lost its entire state funding this year despite Shada's efforts. Whittington said yesterday that Shada's retirement is unrelated to this year's state budget cuts. But she said that Shada has left the University in an excellent position for negotiating next year's budget with the state government. She added that "his energy and commitment have made him enormously effective, and have earned him the respect of our elected officials." Shada will still play some roll in the University's Commonwealth Relations division, Whittington said, saying that Shada will advise the University from time to time. Shada, a graduate of the Wharton School, joined the University in 1960 as an assistant to the admissions dean. During his 30-year tenure at the University, he has been director of financial aid, vice-dean of admissions and director of student financial aid. At a time when the University faces a potentially stiff fight to regain state funding, the absence of Whittington, who has frequently pressed the University's case in Harrisburg, and Shada, who conducts day-to-day lobbying, could make the battle all the more difficult. While the most visible aspect of his job has been his efforts to maintain the University's budget, Shada has also lobbied against certain attempts by lawmakers to force Universities to open financial records to government officials. And Shada has also worked to quell backlash from some lawmakers who feel the University has violated a scholarship agreement with the city. Whittington said she is pleased that University benefits programs "will enable [Shada] to take this step at a time when his health no loner permits him to continue working."