Disappointment and frustration overpowered me when I read the column by Jonathan Steinmetz (DP 9/11/92) concerning the DuBois College House. I do not agree that first-year students should be banned from living in the house for assimilation purposes. As a freshwoman, I experienced the home-like atmosphere of DuBois. Friendships and advising on academic and social aspects of Penn are just a few of the many benefits I received from residents having similar struggles and triumphs. DuBois is special because, unlike other residences, the atmosphere was so open that I knew every resident and staff member on a personal basis. We support each other as we study, dine and entertain together. We are like a big family, in which the staff members and students are concerned about the well-being of each other. We are truly a "house," in which one can feel the coforts of home. Such closeness can't easily be found in most residences. The support offered by DuBois is especially needed for first-year students who do not have a firm hold on University life. Steinmetz admits that his "hall was no cheery, everybody get along . . . world. It was far from it." Well, he should definitely consider living at DuBois, instead of "taking the long way home." Let's be frank! Blacks are not welcomed at Penn. We are a predominantly white institution. Whites number approximately 70 percent of Penn's estimated 20,000 students. Nevertheless, DuBois residents are courageous to go against the odds by taking the opportunities created by the struggles of former blacks. Why should we not have a campus stronghold such as DuBois for the first-year students and the upperclass students? Should we break a piece of our unity to assimilate into the same group that has for centuries subdued such unity? When we begin to strengthen as a people, should we give up our accomplishments in order to assimilate? I agree that the misunderstandings between the races can be lessened by constant, positive interaction in which we learn from one another. However, it is wrong to want blacks to leave DuBois for the concept of assimilation. A black student can assimilate without having to leave the support of the House. "Don't burn the bridges behind you!" In Steinmetz's column and in many talks about assimilation at Penn, I have observed a recurring assumption that blacks should be the ones to approach whites. This viewpoint shows the superiority complex of the white psyche. It is the complex that leads to whites not being accused of practicing segregation -- even though they do most of their activities within their own race. This is also true for other races on campus. Why is this double standard always placed on blacks who associate with one another, and is not placed on other races that do the same? Also, to contradict Steinmetz's views, I hope society will never stop seeing "black" and "white." Instead, I hope society will stop living by the stereotypes placed on "black" and "white." I will never forget my black (Haitian, Bahamian, American) culture and heritage. In essence, I shall not emphasize that I am black and beautiful. Instead, I shall emphasize that I am beautiful because I am black! Once again, get your information straight! The students at DuBois do not pick the color of their roommates. It is true that because the applications from non-blacks are extremely low, the chances of getting black roommates are extremely high. Nevertheless, DuBois residents do not choose the race of roommates. Contrary to popular belief, DuBois College House has many residents that are not black, including whites, Asians and Hispanics. These people, like every other student, were given the opportunity to join the House. They took the opportunity to live in a house devoted to the appreciation of black culture. Why did Steinmetz, and the many other Jonathan Steinmetz's at Penn, not take this opportunity? Although the house is primarily for the study of the history and the culture of people of African descent, residents are not limited to African-American studies majors. So Steinmetz should make the move! He should come join us next year, and see personally what the house has to offer. Can he live up to this challenge? I didn't think he would. Now he should ask himself, "Why wouldn't he?" LOOBY SIMILIEN College '95 Two-year resident DuBois College House