To many University students, fraternity parties provide a welcome relief from the stresses of daily life. But last weekend some party-goers had an opportunity to help others find relief -- from the destruction caused by Hurricane Andrew. The Delta Tau Delta fraternity raised about $1,000 for the victims of Hurricane Andrew at a party held last Saturday night, DTD brother Darin Morgan said. DTD -- which has five brothers from the Miami area -- decided to change this regularly scheduled fall party into an effort to help the victims of hurricane when the Miami members returned to campus this school year, Morgan said. Those attending the party paid a two dollar admission fee which was donated to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, DTD brother Brad Prutkin said. "We profitted no money from this party," Prutkin added. "All the money was donated to the Red Cross. We lost money with this party because we paid all of our expenses -- including hiring a DJ -- out of our pocket." Several DTD brothers said they were concerned about rumors that the relief effort was fraudulent. "This was not a fraternity hoax," Morgan said. "We were sanctioned by the Red Cross and they provided us with signs to put outside the house. The Red Cross really appreciated our efforts." DTD brothers said they were very pleased with the party, which they estimate attracted between 500 and 600 people, including members of Temple University's DTD chapter and students from Bryn Mawr College. "This wasn't just the normal Penn crowd," Prutkin said. "[The party] was a great success. I think it really helped to give [DTD] a name on campus." DTD brother Rick Greenberg also said he thought the party was successful and that he hoped it helped establish a name for the fraternity. "I think that when any fraternity is having a party it is trying to establish itself," Greenberg said. "We came across at this party as being guys who are really concerned about the welfare of others, and that is good." Greenberg added he was surprised by the concern of people attending the party for the victims of Hurricane Andrew. "Most people thought this was a fantastic idea," Greenberg said. "We even had a University cop walk up and donate five dollars to the relief fund and hang out on the porch with the brothers."