From Ericka Ann Guthrie's "The Fire This Time," Fall '92 Night after night -- except weekends, mind you -- West Campus students flock to line up in the rain, sleet and snow just for a taste of the world-renowed entrees. The mystery and adventure which comes each day as we debate on which form the reincarnated mystery meat from Monday will be masquerading as on Tuesday is quite enough to keep us coming back for more. But the food quality of Commons is the subject for another day. Instead, we turn our attention to the social aspects of Commons . . . the atmosphere. I think you and I both know that if Commons were not such an entertaining place to eat, there would be riots and sit-ins protesting the over-priced, under-cooked food we are encouraged to eat. (Unless you live in DuBois, where you are then forced to be on meal plan or else move out. But again I digress.) For me, Commons is the place where I can catch up with everyone, and see people who I do not usually run into on the new and soon-to-be-improved "multicultural" haven, also known as Locust Walk. It is a chance for me to meet with my friends and just chill. We usually sit around our wholesome and filling meals and laugh and complain about classes. And the last time I checked, eating and laughing with your friends is not a crime -- well, maybe the eating part is a crime . . . But alas, last week I was enlightened on this subject. Early last week, I came to Commons with my friends. We could not find a place to sit, so we sat down at one of those round tables. Two guys were already sitting there. We had been eating for a couple of minutes when one of the guys -- who it was painfully obvious was a freshman -- turned to my friend and asked her, and I quote, "Are we sitting in the wrong place?" Now, because they were freshman, and the whole experience of being a freshman is all too fresh in my mind, I took the time to ask him exactly what he was talking about. He tried to elaborate, and said that he and his friend felt as if they were in the minority. He made a sweeping gesture over the entire right side of Commons. I followed his gesture and quickly realized that he was referring to the room, which was almost completely filled with black people. Once again, the ever-so-popular topic of "Why do all the black students sit together in Commons?" had come up. Instead of answering that question, I put forth another one; why do all the white students, or Asian students, etc. sit together? Well, first of all, I think it is safe to say that not all white or Asian students sit together, but a majority of them do. (Just like black students -- who'd have thought?) It's just that no one usually questions any of them getting together and eating and laughing in Commons -- probably because there are more of them, so they do not stick out in a crowd because they are the crowd. It bothers me that the freshman guy did not ask why all the white students were sitting together on the left side of Commons. But to give him credit, he said he had never looked at it that way and added he might go ask them. Why should I have to justify my choice of friends and where we eat? It's not as if we were doing anything different than "The Left Side of Commons." We weren't planning to bum rush Hackney's house or anything -- at least my friends weren't. My point is this: we could sit around for hours debating over whether it is a social fiasco that 1920 Commons is at times a very segregated place, but why should we? It is one thing if black and white students are prohibited by law from sitting together. It is quite another thing if people choose to sit together because they want to. I have never prevented someone who was not black from sitting with me. And furthermore, a lot of people do not sit with people of just one race. But if they do -- and this is a tip for some of you out there -- do not question them like this is "20/20," or even a "Blacks in the U.S." class. Just like you, I go to Commons to relax and eat, not give a lecture on the black and white relations on campus. Instead, sit where you want -- where you choose -- and just enjoy the "good food." Ericka Ann Guthrie is a College sophomore from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. "The Fire This Time" appears alternate Fridays.