The Air Force has not received any comments from University stu - dents on the proposed demolition of Smith Hall and the future construc - tion of a new science research facil - ity on the site, an Air Force spokes - person said. Spokesperson Jane Knowlton & said yesterday that of the 28 letters the Air Force has received from Philadelphia residents, none in - clude "any specific references to or identification of being a University student." But doctoral student Elizabeth & Hunt, who has been a vocal oppo - nent of the project for years, said last night that the lack of student letters does not necessarily reflect student apathy. "In terms of grass-roots political action, to write a letter is consid - ered a pretty strong sign of commit - ment," Hunt said last night. "It's not something people do -- even about the things they feel most & strongly about." Hunt she said assumes that "like all good academics, students are going to push right up to the dead - lines in writing the letters." The Air Force has been seeking the comments to help prepare an environmental impact study of the proposed $75-million Institute for & Advanced Science and Technology, which the University plans to build on the Smith Hall site. The Department of Defense may provide up to $35 million for the IAST project, and because of that financial commitment, the govern - ment is required by law to conduct the study prior to the demolition of Smith Hall. Knowlton said although there & have been no letters from students, "several people" identified them - selves as students at a public meet - ing held August 19 in the Wistar Institute's Auditorium. But Julie Johnson, a University alumna and past critic of the IAST project, said that students have less at stake than those who live perma - nently near the University, and may not feel compelled to express any opinion on the project. "Students come and go, so the threat may seem far more signific - ant to [community members] than to a student who is here for four years on and off," Johnson said. "I know for certain that there are over a hundred letters for con - cerned members of the community, not just students," she added. & "They willl be arriving [at Brooks Air Force Base in Texas] within the deadline." All comments must be post - marked no later than October 1 to be considered. Knowlton said the 28 letters, & which were written by Philadelphia residents and representatives of & various community groups, in - cluded comments on the following topics: · the proposed demolition of & Smith Hall · the potential impact of a new building on Smith Walk · defense-funded research prog - rams on university campuses · potential concerns related to & IAST research activities · the adequacy of the public com - ment period · the possibility for a building that respects the architectural ambi - ence of the site · discussion of the proposed re - search functions of the IAST that would benefit the public interest. She said that while many of the letters objected to some aspect of the project, "several" letters ex - pressed support. Once the public comment period ends, the Air Force will gather data to analyze the environmental im - pacts of both the proposed demoli - tion of Smith Hall and the construc - tion of the IAST. In early 1993, following the data collection and analysis, a draft en - vironmental impact statement will be released for public review and comment. A public hearing will be held during this time to receive & comments on the draft statement. After the public comment period, a final statement will be issued, in - corporating public comments on & the draft statement and any & changes that may be necessary.