The University has narrowed the search for a permanent Judicial Inquiry Officer to a short list of three finalists, administrators said Tuesday. Larry Moneta, associate vice provost for student life, declined to name the finalists, citing the University's policy of keeping such information confidential. But he said all three are from outside the University and "seem to have super credentials. All have had experience in judicial affairs of one sort or another." Although Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson said earlier this year that she hoped to have a new JIO by the end of the spring semester, Moneta said the position will probably be filled sometime next month. "We'll have interviews with all three of those people by the end of June and hope to make a job offer as early in July as the process permits," Moneta said. Moneta, who will make the final pick, said his staff has tried to "make sure there is very broad student particpation" in the interview process. Morrisson has said in the past that a variety of student groups, ranging from the Undergraduate Assembly to the Black Student Union, have provided their input on what sort of JIO they would like to see selected. But other sectors of the University are participating as well, especially as each finalist undergoes a final, day-long interview process before one of them is offered the job. Moneta said that during one such interview Tuesday, interviewers included Provost Michael Aiken, Morrisson, the JIO staff, representatives of Public Safety, representatives of University Life departments and some faculty. The nature of the JIO position has been the subject of considerable discussion in recent years. Many student leaders have complained that a single JIO suffers from conflicts of interest, trying to both prosecute cases and settle them at the same time. Some students have said this hinders the JIO's fairness. Jane Combrinck-Graham, associate director of risk management, is currently acting as interim JIO. She took a year off from her risk management position after former JIO Constance Goodman resigned last summer. Acting Associate VPUL Barbara Cassel headed the JIO search committee, which produced the three finalists. '[They] seem to have super credentials.' Larry Moneta Associate Vice Provost for Student Life