and MICHAEL SIROLLY A dispute between the University and a former Veterinary School professor who claims she suffered sexual discrimination at the University is about to be resolved, parties in the case said this week. The professor, veterinary cancer researcher Ann Jeglum, filed suit against the University in December, following an Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ruling that her charges of sexual discrimination had merit. In the lawsuit, Jeglum -- once chief of onclology in the Vet School -- claims the the University discriminated against her both by denying her tenure in 1987 and 1989 and by paying "less qualified or equally qualified male employees" higher wages. There are now signs, though, that Jeglum and the University will settle out of court. Jeglum's lawyer, attorney Jeffrey Smith, hinted this week that the two parties are nearing an agreement. "There are ongoing settlement discussions," Smith said Tuesday. "We will know one way or another within the next week." Both parties have been negotiating since before the lawsuit was filed, and both sides may not have expected the suit to reach the courtroom stage. Under the EEOC's finding late last fall, Jeglum was forced to file suit within 90 days or else waive any claim against the University. Assistant General Counsel Elizabeth O'Brien, who is representing the University in the case, said this week that a settlement seemed near -- but she refused to offer any timetable. "We're continuing to negotiate," O'Brien said. "We believe we're extremely close to reaching an agreement." Regardless of whether the two parties can reach an agreement, Jeglum's case may soon need to move forward soon anyway. Judge James Giles, who is assigned to the case, last month ordered Jeglum to demonstrate by mid-June "why this action should not be dismissed for failure to prosecute." According to Smith, however, settlement through negotiation was always Jeglum's goal. "At the time we filed, there were settlement discussions ongoing." Smith said. "It seemed the wiser course to proceed with negotiations rather than press forward with the litigation." "We've been talking and talking and hopefully those discussions are about to bear fruit," he added. Neither party would reveal any details of their proposed settlements, citing an agreement to keep the terms confidential. But Smith suggested that the negotiations have proceeded slowly because of their complexity. "The framework is a delicate one and there are several parts to it which are contingent on each other," he explained. In addition to the tenure and wage discrimination charges, the suit also alleges that Jeglum was a victim of sexual harassment throughout her employment at the University, claiming she was subjected to "offensive remarks, and unfounded allegations that she [refused] to be 'cooperative' with other members of the faculty." Jeglum left her office in the Clinical Studies division of the Veterinary Hospital nearly a year and a half ago and now works in a West Chester veterinary clinic and lab. The suit also names as defendants the Vet School and three current and past Vet School administrators. Vet School Dean Edwin Andrews, former Veterinary Medicine chairperson Kenneth Bovee and resigned Veterinary Medicine chairperson Darrell Biery are named individually, as well as in their positions at the Vet School. Jeglum seeks lost wages, benefits and expenses due to both her tenure denial and wage discrimination while at the University. She also seeks tenure retroactive from her tenure denial in 1989. While at the University, Jeglum worked in the Vet School's Small Animal Hospital and spent more than five year's researching treatments for certain forms of canine cancer.