Every day I open The Daily Pennsylvanian to the editorial page and am confronted with a smattering of complaints and gripes from both columnists and concerned letter writers. Having personally experienced the frustration that can be caused by University bureaucracy, I understand the point of view of many of these writers. However, it often seems that people simply write in to criticize, while offering no solutions. Additionally, I find many of the columns to be attempts at attracting readers by castigating people and events and throwing in a couple references to sexual anatomy, but professing no insight into the situation. This type of journalism borders on pure whining. In response to this rash of nasty writing, I would like to take the opportunity to recognize and thank several groups on campus. I'd like to begin with the reference people in Van Pelt. I am amazed by how much these people know about a vast range of topics, how much information they can access and how eager they are to help. Many frenzied paperwriters have been cheerfully saved by these resource technicians. The miraculous part of this service is that it comes with no fee attached. This appears to be one spot where you truly can get something for nothing. Secondly, I would like to come to the defense of the Social Planning and Events Committee. Sure, some of the events SPEC has planned have been duds, but at least they are planning things. Here is a group of people who are truly interested in making Penn more fun and are taking steps toward that end rather than looking to the administration to plan social activities. I don't see how anyone could help but respect that kind of attitude. Next, I want to thank the people from the Office of the Physical Plant who are responsible for keeping the University grounds clean. Countless times I have walked past College Green on a warm evening only to see it littered by the progressive and ecologically-minded students that have spent the day revelling in the sun. The next morning, however, the trash is gone, the grass is cut, there are flowers blooming and the campus is once again splendid. Finally, I would especially like to thank all of the students who simply smile and say "Hello," even though they have never met me. So, those are my thank you's. It is the people mentioned herein, and coutless other cheerful souls that I have forgotten, who battle the negativism fostered by idle criticism with their positive outlooks and dedication to the University. Open your eyes and look around, you will find plenty to be happy about and thankful for at Penn. PETE EBERHART College '92