Is it real or is it Monty? This was the question on many audience members' minds when Thespis opened last night in Annenberg Center's Zellerbach Theater. Penn Singers Director Bruce Montgomery, known affectionately as Monty to all those whom he directs in a melange of University performing arts groups, re-created most of the score of the light opera. Thespis' original score disappeared around 1879, just eight years after Gilbert and Sullivan collaborated on it in their first joint effort. Because Montgomery's re-creation is the only known one in existence and it is unpublished, the play is little known. While two original ballads survived -- "Climbing Over Rocky Mountain" and "Little Maid of Arcadee" -- it was quite difficult to tell Montgomery's compositions from those of Sullivan. The 16-piece orchestra certainly did justice to Montgomery's work. The play, which is in two acts, is set atop a Mount Olympus governed by elderly gods. A group of unsuspecting mortal Thespians stumble upon this mountain mistakenly, and after a bit of convincing, exchange places with the gods. The actors prove unfit for their roles as the most comical complications ensue. A husband and wife become siblings through the gods they play, while a recovering alcoholic is thrust into the role of Bacchus, the Greek god of wine and revelry. The result is a world gone awry, but it makes for a very enjoyable evening. The performance of the second act was worlds better than the first act, and opening night jitters may be to blame, especially since almost half the group was new. Unfortunately, many of the actors failed to project their voices and it was difficult to hear them. The second half of the performance was much more enjoyable as the cast warmed up more to the audience and displayed their true vocal talents by enunciating and projecting much better. Sparkeion, played by College senior Bryan Gick, and Nicemis, played by College freshman Jennifer Rossell, complemented each other wonderfully in their collaborative ballads. Many in the cast shone through as marvelous character actors. Deserving special mention are College sophomore Brian Reid, who played Jupiter, the leader of the gods, and Wharton graduate student Thomas Love, who played Thespis, the leader of the actors. Mercury, played by Engineering sophomore Marc Weitz, elicited streams of laughter every time he bounded on stage. Through a series of seemingly spontaneous dances and uncontrollable energy, Weitz showed his natural disposition towards comical acting. The chorus was very strong, adding flair with its exuberant songs and dances. The costumes and scenery enhanced the action on stage. The fine detailing was truly of professional caliber. The cast danced around the stage transforming it into a sea of colors. Performances will also be held on April 3 and 4. Tickets are available on Locust Walk and at the Annenberg Center at $5 for students and $10 for others.