An assistant English professor who was denied tenure this year has appealed the University's decision, alleging the School of Arts and Sciences personnel committee acted "arbitrarily" and "capriciously" in voting to deny him tenure. Assistant English Professor Arkady Plotnitsky said yesterday that he filed a grievance -- the formal appeal of tenure denial -- late last week. "My grievance is against the arbitrary and capricious action of the personnel committee in considering my case this year," Plotnitsky said. Under University policies, a three-person commission will first evaluate the grievance to determine whether the actions leading the complainant, in this case Plotnitsky, to file the grievance were arbitrary, capricious, or discriminatory. Commission chairperson and Education Professor Kenneth George declined to comment on the case, citing University confidentiality rules. If the commission decides the action fits into one of the three categories, the University would hold the grievance hearing. In a grievance procedure, the faculty member who files the grievance asks another faculty member to attend the hearing as his or her "colleague," or representative. The provost names a person who is connected to "those responsible for the action complained of" to serve as the University's representative, or "respondent," according to Policies and Procedures. English Department Chairperson John Richetti said yesterday that he has agreed to be Plotnitsky's colleague. Frequently, the department chairperson serves on the other side of the case -- as the University's respondent -- because often the professor filing a grievance complains about the department. "I've agreed to be Arkady's advocate," Richetti said. "I support him all the way." "In this case, I would represent my colleagues who have voted nearly unanimously to support [Plotnitsky's tenure bid,]" Richetti said. This year, the English department voted 24-0 with two abstentions in favor of the University granting Plotnitsky tenure. After his denial by the personnel committee, students and faculty members have rallied behind Plotnitsky. In recent months, delegations from the English, Comparative Literature and Romance Languages departments -- as well as groups of both graduate and undergraduate students -- have met with School of Arts and Sciences Dean Rosemary Stevens to protest the personnel committee's ruling. In some cases, the delegates have asked Stevens to override the personnel committee's decision to deny tenure. Without tenure, Plotnitsky can no longer remain on the English faculty after this term, even if his case is heard in the fall. Stevens has refused to discuss the details of the case, but has said she believes the personnel committee is the appropriate body to make decisions of this kind. She has said in the past she is not likely to overrule decisions made by the personnel committee in general.