From Harold Ford's "Papa Don't Take No Mess," Spring '92.From Harold Ford's "Papa Don't Take No Mess," Spring '92.· "I accept," Jeff Blount enthusiastically fired back. And, as a result, the InterFraternity Council and the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Alliance verbally agreed to co-sponsor an event next fall. Three days ago, something fantastic happened on campus that involved representatives from Women United for Change, the IFC, the Black Student League, the Latino Coalition, the Undergraduate Assembly, the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Alliance, the Reserve Officer Training Corps, and leaders from other campus groups. These students gathered to discuss their personal position -- and sometimes their organization's position -- on a variety of issues, including the combustible "Diversify the Walk" issue, the Department of Defense's reckless stance on gays in the armed forces and the "frivolous" -- according to Senior Vice President Marna Whittington -- Mayor's Scholarship class action suit. There was a lot of political posturing by these individuals, yet there was also some substantive progress made. For one of the first times since I have been at Penn, student leaders had an opportunity to discuss issues of import in person. Usually, opposing groups will argue their points through the DP, and oftentimes, people are quoted out of context. But this forum allowed students to confront one another and hammer out their grievances face-to-face. It was good for Jeff Blount, who presides over the IFC, to look Nicole Blum, a representative from WUC, and You-Lee Kim, former president of the UMC, in the eyes and explain the Greek system's position on diversifying the Walk. I think it's safe to say that everyone's understanding of the issue was broadened. As I prepare to graduate -- barring no last-minute catastrophes -- I wish that more things of this nature took place while I was here. It is crucial for student leaders representing various interests and constituencies to come together and talk, define problems -- and hopefully find solutions -- without the administration's presence. Only then can we begin to solve problems. · I have had a ball at Penn. I've enjoyed writing this column. And, even though I've already said it -- I don't care, I'll say it again - I enjoyed, more than anything while at Penn, writing for The Vision. Congratulations to that great class of 1992! Also thanks to the class of 1992 for voting me Class Spoon. (That sounds a little funny, doesn't it? But supposedly it's really, really good.) And, above all, thank you reading my columns for the last year. · Harold Ford is a senior History major from Memphis, Tennessee. Papa Don't Take No Mess appeared alternate Thursdays. I love you, Mom, Dad, Jake and Isaac.