Holy Family College History Professor Larry Riley tried to provoke students into speculating on the future of the now defunct Soviet Union last Thursday at the Newman Center. "The window of opportunity has opened upon us," he said. "It could close. What we do now has greater impact than in the past." Riley called the present situation a chance for Americans to change the world view that countries are still divided into two separate camps. He expressed his hope that a more unified world would be left in the wake of the Soviet Union's breakup. "We were locked in a mortal conflict, now we seem to have a second chance," he said. "The Cold War, the mutually destructive approach, can be avoided." After a short presentation on the history of the Soviet Union, Riley asked the students for their insights on the current political situation. The 20 students present asked questions and exchanged opinions with Riley. "Sooner or later the window will close because you will become middle class, move to the suburbs and become as conservative as I am," he said. "Your life is going to be more concerned with trivia. You'll get more and more conservative. Now is the time." The other important theme that Riley tackled was the issue of whether modernization was possible without Westernization. While the topic at hand was serious, Riley managed to keep conversation flowing and the mood light. The discussion ended with Riley expressing his hope that the audience had gained something from the experience. "Maybe we'll leave here a little more sensitive . . . even the people from Wharton," he said. Riley is associated with the Graduate Christian Fellowship, which sponsored the event.