Officials: Will not bend The University will not change its stance on a controversial scholarship lawsuit despite letters from state representatives threatening to tie the suit to state funding, one of the University's attorneys said yesterday. "We're not changing our strategy because of those letters," said Associate General Counsel Debra Fickler. "We are not connecting the two at all. We're proceeding on the case." State representatives from Philadelphia's delegation wrote two letters to President Sheldon Hackney recently saying they would not work to retain the University's state funding unless an agreement is reached on the scholarship suit. They claimed they have been pressed by their constituents to consider the lawsuit in the upcoming budget struggle. The Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia filed suit in Common Pleas Court in October, charging the University has not complied with a 1977 city ordinance requiring the University to provide scholarships to needy Philadelphia high school students. One of the letters was signed by 20 state representatives -- including powerful state House Appropriations Committee chairperson Dwight Evans (D-Phila.) -- and may place another burden on the University's struggle to retain state funding. The University's attorneys argue the disputed city ordinance must be considered in the context of history, which they contend supports their position. Fickler added the University is proceeding as usual on the suit and that it is not certain how long the litigation could last. She noted the judge has not ruled on the University's November motion to throw out the case. The University also issued a written statement yesterday stating the University is working with City Council leadership and other city leaders to resolve the issues surrounding the convoluted Mayor's Scholarship lawsuit. It also said the University is working to more effectively communicate the program to the community. The statement does not directly mention the two letters, but University spokesperson Carol Farnsworth said it was released to answer questions that had arisen in light of the letters. It is still unclear how the letters may affect the University's lobbying strategy in Harrisburg. Assistant Vice President for Commonwealth Relations James Shada was not available for comment. The state legislators are the University only remaining resort to retain the University's funding since the General Assembley revises the governor's executive budget proposal before it is implemented. Gov. Robert Casey proposed earlier this month eliminating the University's appropriations, which this year amount to just over $37 million. PILCOP has alleged the ordinance requires the University to give out 125 new four-year scholarships annually, for a total of 500 at any given time. The University has maintained it should provide 125 scholarships total at any one time. The University began the scholarship program to comply with a series of agreements with the city which date back to the 19th century. In exchange for the scholarships, the University received nearly 47 acres of land where the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and the Quadrangle now stand. (CUT LINE) Please see RESPONSE, page 2 RESPONSE, from page 1