Debra Pickett, in response to your column "A Four Year Service Plan" (DP 2/17/92), we applaud your noble community work at the University City High School. We suggest, however, that you use a stronger deodorant to conquer your post-volunteer stink. Do not think that community service should become mandatory for all students now that you have discovered it. In this case, it is quality -- not quantity -- that truly counts. Not everyone has your patience and dedication. Personally, we were very involved in community service for all four years of our undergraduate educations. We realize that it's hard all over, not just here in Philly; we continue our efforts here as doctoral candidates at Penn because we feel that we are contributing not only to the lives of others, but to our own lives as well. In our current participation with the Pennlincs science mentoring program, we are not seen as Satan-figures to the children, but as positive role models. We show the kids how much fun science can be and, while we're at it, maybe show them that not just drug dealers can dress in fine clothes. When we part ways each week, it is not hate that fills their eyes -- it is gratitude and excitement. Every facet of community service must be viewed as a symbiotic exchange. Obviously you care about the West Philadelphia community to the extent that you are willing to give it your time and effort. View yourself not as "the man" but as someone who is willing to work for the respect of the community. Your rewards won't necessarily be measured by how many times someone says "thank you," but by your own new-found sense of belonging. As a community volunteer, you are someone from the community helping someone else from the community, not a "Penn student" helping a "West Philadelphia resident." Hopefully you will reevaluate your role as a volunteer. Hey, you might find that the world isn't always such a bad place. KRISTEN BILLIAR KIRK THIBAULT Graduate Students, Bioengineering