At the end of an hour-long first act, one would expect members of the audience to run to the bathroom or at least mingle a little. But when a majority of the people are still sitting on the edges of their seats with stunned expressions on their faces, this could mean one of two things. Either the show was utterly incomprehensible or absolutely riveting. Extremities, which opened last night, was certainly understandable, so that only leaves one option. Extremities deals with rape from both the point of view of the victim and the rapist. And it is a play that could have easily been ruined by overacting. This was not the case in Arts House's production. Jef Johnson, 1990 College graduate, did an excellent job playing a rapist who psychologically manipulates his victim's two roommates into almost believing his innocence. He does this by threatening jail, feeding their insecurities and preying on their strengths. Heidi Yudis, a senior in the College, has been given her first chance of her senior year to show what she is truly capable of doing on stage. Her portrayal of Marjorie, the victim, was sensitive and emotional as well as highly credible. And Yudis, Johnson, and director Samantha Aezen, a December 1991 College graduate, should be congratulated for creating a petrifyingly believable rape scene. The biggest, if not only, problem with this production is its location. While the smallness of the High Rise East Rathskellar is beneficial in making the audience feel more like a part of the show, portions of the rape scene are missed by anyone sitting farther back than the second row. And on an entirely different note, the onstage smoking, while fitting to the situation being portrayed, was bothersome to members of the audience, especially in the confined space of the Rathskellar. The show might have had a slightly stronger impact if there hadn't been an intermission. But there is only so much time an actor or actress can spend on stage so no blame goes to anyone for this. And even with the intermission, there was plenty of an impact. Extremities will run this weekend and will continue February 13, 14 and 15. The show begins at 8 p.m. in the High Rise East Rathskellar, and tickets are $5, available on Locust Walk and at the door. Review