University union officials and dining service managers this month participated in the first of a series of role-reversal programs designed to reduce the number of formal grievances betwen labor and management. Labor Relations Manager Jack Heuer faciitated the program, entitled "The Grievance Process: Effective Conflict Resolution." The two-hour workshop was attended by Local 54 President Goulam Muhammed and Director of Dining Services William Canney, as well as 24 managers and stewards. Heuer said he organized the program "to make [participants] understand the negotiation process more fully." He said he hopes to close the gap between labor and management by improving communication between vying parties. Heuer urged participants to utilize conflict resolution techniques at the "first level" - direct communication - rather than initiating formal grievance proceedings. The number of formal grievances has decreased by 50 percent in the lastfour years, Heuer said. "I'm trying to get them away from the us vs. them," he said. Throughout the program, Heuer proposed "methods of fact finding" which Canney said included the purpose of the grievance process, questioning witnesses, burden of proof and the problem of conflicting testimony. The role-reversal format was "unusual and beneficial for both parties," Canney said. "It was fun for me, putting on a different hat." In the act, he played the employee who ultimately was found not guilty. Muhammed has participated in role-playing programs on the behalf Local 54 since 1973 and found the recent program to be a "good preventative measure." "I was very pleased and hope we continue to do different things," he said. "Jack [Heuer's] push is what we need to get the process going." Canney also praised the program saying "I'm all for sharing as much information as I can." He reiterated though, that over the years, labor and management at the University have had "positive relations." And Hill House Dining Commons Manager Stephen Finch said he appreciated the opportunity for both sides to sit down and try and see the opposite side's viewpoint. "The feedback I received indicated that it was a success, " Heuer said. "I was happy at the interaction that the participants provided. The questions indicated that they learned something about the topic."