A week-long commemorative program to honor the birthday of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. will kick off Sunday night with a candlelight vigil and procession around campus. The vigil, Alpha Phi Alpha president Leon Anthony Frazier said, will "pay tribute to the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr.", who Frazier said was a brother of the fraternity. The vigil will start in front of DuBois House at 8 p.m. Participants will walk, singing the civil rights anthem, "We Shall Overcome," to College Green. On College Green, the Penn Gospel Choir will perform, and two fraternity brothers of area graduate chapters, Roger Jackson and Anthony Walker, will speak. Following the speakers, participants will return to DuBois College House for a reception. "It's a time of gathering . . . to try and unite for something important to all of us, certainly to African-American students at Penn," Frazier said. The candlelight vigil is an annual event, traditionally held on the Sunday night before the national celebration of King's birthday. In the past, participants in the vigil have been predominantly blacks, but Frazier said he hopes that this will change. He cited the fact that the civil rights movement itself was a cross-section of cultures, and said he hopes that the vigil will reflect similar diversity. "We hope that more people will get involved," Frazier said. A great number of activities have been planned for the days following the vigil, most occurring on Monday. Throughout the day, the Black Student League will sponsor films and seminars to discuss issues important to black students. The seminars were planned by BSL members Jessica Dixon and Nicole Bell and will be facilitated by faculty and graduate students. Dixon said that student participation in these discussion groups will reflect a key aspect of the civil rights movement itself. "[The day is] to be a student movement like the civil rights movement. . . it was a choice of citizens to educate themselves," she said. Monday's events are as follows: ·10 a.m. to 12 noon: Three discussion groups will be offered throughout campus. "You got in just because you're black: Affirmative Action Yesterday and Today" in the main room of the Castle; "What's it like to be Black in America?: Race and Culture" in the Hillel Auditorium; "It Wasn't So Long Ago. . . : the Reversal of the Civil Rights Movement" in the Bowl Room of Houston Hall. ·12 noon to 2 p.m.: A lunch and lecture titled, "In Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr." at the Mezzanine of the Penn Tower Hotel. The keynote speaker will be Thaddeus Mathis from the School of Social Administration at Temple University. The event will be sponsored by the African-American Association of Faculty, Staff and Administrators. ·2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: More discussion groups and films will be held throughout campus. "What's it like to be Black in America?: Race and Culture" will be repeated in the Hillel Auditorium; "What are the writings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and how did they impact the civil rights movement?" at the Christian Association with Eric King; "What's Going On? . . . around campus between the races? Why isn't The Dream being fulfilled in America?" in the main room of the Castle. ·4:30 p.m.: A March and Rally for Peace and Justice has been organized by the Black Student League. The procession will begin at the Christian Association. ·7 p.m. to 9 p.m.: The day will end with a lecture/performance at Zellerbach Theater. The event is titled, "A Dream is Still A Dream," and is an overview of the Civil Rights movement, the status of civil rights today, and strategies needed for future success. The keynote speaker will be Yolanda King, King's daughter. The event will be sponsored by the University. On Tuesday, January 21, the Christian Association will show two films and sponsor discussions contrasting the contributions of King and Malcolm X to the civil rights movement. The films, The Meeting and Eyes on the Prize, will be shown in the CA lounge at 8 p.m. On Wednesday, January 22, a slide show and lecture, Who Slew the Dreamer? will be held in room 17 of Logan Hall. The keynote speaker will be Jeff Cohen, associate physics professor. This event will be sponsored by the BSL and the Black Graduate and Professional Student Association. All events are free and open to the public.