The Student Committee on Undergraduate Education elected its steering committee, the group responsible for guiding its policies, during an hour-long closed session last night. College junior Hallie Levin, who served on the steering committee this year, was elected chairperson of the six member steering board. Levin, who has worked on SCUE for three years, said last night that she is "interested in working with the faculty and administration to serve as a means of communicating students' academic concerns." General requirement reform leads Levin's list as one of her goals for the upcoming year. "Many students are dissatisfied with the general requirement at Penn," she said, adding that she does not yet have any specific ideas about changes. SCUE, which has served the undergraduate body for over 26 years, has been responsible in past years for helping to implement the Freshman Seminar program, changes in professor evaluation forms, and increases in endowments for undergraduate chairs. College and Engineering junior David Haynes, currently a member of the steering committee, was chosen to be SCUE's vice-chairperson. SCUE's $4000 budget will be administered by College junior Jim Stewart, who said that he will also be called upon to "provide leadership for the committee." Outgoing Chairperson David Kaufman said last night he is "pleased" with the new steering committee and hopes it "will reach new heights." Levin said she does not see herself as an autocrat on the committee. "It's like being a leader among leaders," Levin said of her peers. "I don't foresee dictating policies." Levin will be responsible for articulating the committee's goals, and serving on various University committees responsible for undergraduate education. Levin, who is a History of Science and Sociology major, said the committee is "in the process of completing the Practical Scholar, a comprehensive guide to academic life." The Practical Scholar, which SCUE has been producing for the past year, will be the academic equivalent of the Practical Penn, the social guide freshmen receive before they arrive at the University. Vice Chairperson Haynes said last night that he "will handle all internal activities including membership duties." Haynes said that the upcoming year will provide SCUE with the opportunity of becoming a better "advocate of undergraduate education needs." Wharton freshman Brian Toll, College junior Michael Unglo and College sophomore Jon Pitt were chosen as general members of the steering committee.