After months of planning, protest and conflict, a University Trustees committee today will view the models for the Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, planned for the current site of Smith Hall. During the Facilities and Campus Planning meeting, the University will present the Trustees with scale models of phases one and two of the IAST -- dry laboratory and wet laboratory -- for the Trustees' input and approval. Vice President of Facilities Management Art Gravina said last night that the presentation is a formality through which the architects usually do not have to go. He said the situation is unique because of the controversy surrounding the demolition of Smith Hall and because of the aesthetics of the surrounding area. "[This] is not how traditionally to build a building," Gravina said. He explained that the IAST is "up for referendum," saying that administrators do not usually have to seek approval from the Trustees on the specifics of new construction. For the past year, some students and faculty members have protested the administration's proposed demolition of Smith Hall to build the IAST. They said the building holds important historical significance and contributes to the beauty of Smith Walk. But administrators argued that Smith Hall's proximity to the Chemistry Building makes it the prime location to place the IAST. After several hearings and appeals last year, the city gave the University permission to tear down the building. Vice Provost for Research Barry Cooperman said yesterday that the demolition of Smith hall will proceed as anticipated and that the funding for the IAST has been cleared. Stephen Golding, executive director of resource planning and budgeting said that the Defense Department has guaranteed the University 25 million dollars for phase one of the IAST project. To date, DOD has given the University 20 million dollars, and Golding says the University "anticipates the remainder in the next year." These figures however do not reflect the total cost of the venture. "The final numbers are being worked on right now," said Marna Whittington, the University's executive vice president. But Whittington said the money for phase one is accounted for and will not be "a problem." She added that the University has agreed to a "fifty-fifty" match with the federal goverment, requiring the University to match the sum that the government provides. Golding said that the University is presently "running fundraising campaigns, and is receiving additional support from the Commonwealth [ of Pennsylvania]." Whittington said the government has agreed to an addtional 15 million dollars for phase two of the IAST. She added that the University has gained permission from the Trustees to enter into debt with the federal government. As for the scale models themselves, Gravina said that the architects are interested in being "sensitive to Furness," and not creating a "monument to the builder." Gravina also said that the architects are very concerned about "the relation of the IAST to [Smith] walk." The plans for the IAST are not yet in their final stages. In fact, Gravina reported that although the architects have completed the plans for phase one, they are still examining the features and specifications of phase two. He added that the materials for the building have not even been decided upon. Cooperman also explained that Trustee meetings have recently been opened to the public, thereby giving the University access to view the plans of the building for the first time. The committee will meet at 1:45 in Alumni Hall of the Faculty Club.