The next time Mrs. Fletcher falls, she might want to call a University student to help her up. Last week, 20 students attended the a two-part class to learn CPR and basic first aid techniques in the High Rise North Rooftop Lounge. The program, which was free for all University students, was run by Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine Jeff Stanley, with assistance from two Medical School students. The first class lasted for two and a half hours and covered the basic principles of practical emergency medical care, including Basic Cardiac Life Support. The second two-hour session allowed students to physically learn how to give CPR. At the end of the second class, students were given the opportunity to take a written test to become certified in CPR by the American Heart Association. The test is composed of 50 multiple choice questions. Stanley said that the American Heart Association has estimated that knowledge of life support techniques such as the Heimlich maneuver could save 100,000 lives annually. "CPR training should accompany a student's humanitarian and cultural education," said Stanley. "It would be my strong feeling that each student should take it before graduating." Fourth-year Med student Tim You, who came up with the idea for the course and assisted Stanley, said that everyone should learn lifesaving techniques so that they know what to do in case of an emergency. "I realized that not enough students are prepared in CPR," You said. "If something were to happen not everyone would know what to do." He brought his idea to Associate Anesthesia Professor Fred Campbell, who arranged for students to receive the course materials free of charge. Students were given the same 40-page handout which is given to Med School students. Stanley said he "thoroughly enjoyed" teaching the course and he was impressed with the students who attended. Students who were unable to attend the initial classes may get another chance to take the course. "If there is significant interest among a committed group of students then we could perhaps repeat the course," Stanley said. "I would be willing to teach the course again." You was very optimistic that more CPR courses will be offered in the future. "We will definitely offer other classes in lifesaving," You said. Engineering senior Alex Doyle said after the first session that he was glad he decided to take the class. "I think the class was a big success and I'm looking foward to the next session," he said. Doyle said he has been wanting to take a CPR class for some time. "I don't know [CPR] and I think it's very important that everyone should know it," said Doyle. "Also, it was a chance to do it for free." College junior Warden Hwan said the instructor helped make the class an enjoyable experience. "The teacher was funny and interesting," said Hwan. "The course was really good."