All-nighters. They're not just for mid-terms anymore. Freshman said deciding which fraternity to pledge after six weeks of rush was "pretty stressful," but for two University students it was a marathon that lasted all night. Two friends, who wished to remain anonymous, said they spent most of Sunday and Monday agonizing over the decision they had to make at the Interfraternity Council's annual bid signing last night. They had agreed earlier that they would both pledge the same house. "We've been together for the last 26 hours," said one of the freshman. "We were discussing it all night. We went to sleep at 6:30. I slept through my econ class." They said they called brothers all night for advice, and the president and rush chair of one of the houses visited them at 4 a.m. They both called their parents for advice, asked their dorm security guard what she thought, and even flipped coins. "We talked about everything. We compared pool tables for a half-hour," one said. Just an hour before bid night, they made a decision and agreed not to change their minds. But when the time came, "we got really cold feet." After more discussion about the decision they felt would have a great impact on their University experience, they finally signed the bid cards to their original choice. Fortunately, the decision wasn't as difficult for every freshman. Most were happy to finish rush and join the Greek system. "I'm really excited," said Wharton freshman Mike Weinbach, who signed Alpha Epsilon Pi's bid. "It came down to the wire. I chose great guys who I really felt comfortable with." Eileen Stevens, founder of the Committee to Halt Useless College Killings, spoke for 45 minutes before bid signing. Stevens talked about the dangers of hazing, relating how her son was killed in a 1978 alcohol-related hazing incident. "In my mind [hazing] is in contradiction with what you stand for," she said. "Surely we can unify a group in a positive way." Stevens told the prospective Greeks that it is up to them to make changes in the system when they see things they don't like. "Social life is very important, but we do have to act responsibly and we are accountable for our actions," she said. Students said they found her speech touching and said it raised some important issues, but were not concerned they might have similar experiences. "I think I know what to expect," said Wharton freshman Aric Shalev, who signed with Delta Kappa Epsilon. "It's worth the commitment for great brotherhood." "I don't care if they kill me, I'm just glad this rush is over," added College freshman Rich Westreich, who signed a bid from Phi Delta Theta. Many felt the rush process was too long, but others felt it gave them a better opportunity to get to know the brothers and make an informed decision. "I think a longer rush limits rash decisions," said Bruce Forman, the IFC vice president in charge of rush. "It gives brothers and rushes more time to check each other out, become friends, and decide whether the rushes want to join a fraternity." Over 500 bids were offered last night, and Forman said the big turnouts at every house made this year's rush particularly successful.