Sixteen years ago, in what Edward Kukan, Ambassador from the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic to the United Nations, termed "a black spot in the history of the United Nations," the U.N. General Assembly passed a resolution equating Zionism with racism. The infamous resolution 3379 claiming that "Zionism is a form of racism and racial discrimination" was passed on November 10, 1975 by a vote of 72 against 35. The resolution was passed thanks to the voting power of the Third World/Communist/Arab bloc in the U.N. The United Nations, an organization claiming to uphold peace and equality throughout the world, should be immune to this blatant form of anti-Semitism, but unfortunately it is not. The resolution, if history alone cannot, clearly shows why Israel is so needed and so dear to all Jews across the globe. Zionism is the idea that Jews have the right to self-determination. It makes no reference to race, and does not advocate discrimination. In practical terms, Zionism means that Israel has the right to exist, no more and no less. But under the pretense of promoting peace, this U.N. resolution clearly calls for the destruction of the state of Israel. Especially in light of the current peace talks, this resolution must be repealed if the U.N. desires to play a role as an impartial mediator or observer in the peace process. Congressman Bill Green of New York, author of the U.S. House of Representatives' resolution to repeal 3379, characterized the hypocritical stance of the U.N. this way: "The U.N. presents two different images, realities and prospects for the future. One works toward the collective security of the world. The other remains one of a malicious insane asylum where all efforts toward peace are thwarted." Last May, the world saw Zionism in all of its splendor as Israel, with the help of President Bush's negotiating abilities, rescued 14,000 Ethiopian Jews from the turmoil of a civil war. "Operation Solomon" saved these Jews, who just happen to be as black as any other Ethiopian, from certain persecution. If this act is racist, then would someone please tell me the new definition of "a just cause"? New York Times Columnist William Safire understood the true essence of the rescue mission when he proclaimed "For the first time in history, the black man was taken out of Africa, not in chains, but in dignity, not as slaves, but as citizens." The mission to save Jews facing life-threatening danger has been a top priority for the state of Israel and the Zionist movement throughout their converging existences. Israel has rescued 21,000 Jews from Ethiopia through both "Operation Solomon" and "Operation Moses"; close to 400,000 Jews from the Soviet Union have been brought to Israel since 1990 through "Operation Exodus" (the number is expected to reach approximately one million within the next five years); 4,000 Jews have come from Syria; and about 850,000 Jews have been repatriated from other Arab and Soviet Bloc countries. The racist oppression that the Jews have encountered throughout the years can be seen in all parts of the world, from the Soviet Union to the United States, from Syria to Romania. Since invention of programs, which were designed to kill Jews indiscriminately, in czarist Russia during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Jews have attempted to flee from there. Unfortunately, it has not been until recently that the entire population wishing to leave has been allowed to do so. Even now their exodus has been threatened by the U.S.'s refusal to support loan guarantees for Israel. The world must realize that Zionism is not racism. However, resolution 3379 is the true symbol of racism in the world. It allows the world to once again use the Jews, through the state of Israel, as a scapegoat for its problems. It allows the world to point to this resolution and say, "Of course it's Israel's fault, they're racists. Even the United Nations says so." On the sixteenth anniversary of this blemish on the United Nation's record, we must urge repeal of 3379. It does not fairly portray the United Nation's stated goal to promote peace and prosperity for the world. Andre Erdos, the Ambassador from Hungary, realized this fault with the U.N. resolution when he stated "This resolution must be buried in the graveyard of the Cold War."