The Nursing and Engineering Schools, which have not sent many students abroad in the past, are planning new foreign study programs at universities around the globe. "We're trying to encourage Engineering students to study abroad," said John Keenan, associate dean of Engineering. This summer the Engineering School will sponsor four internships at the University of Tokyo, the University of Complutense in Spain; the Universite de Technologie de Compiegne in France; and universities in Israel, according to Keenan. According to Keenan, the students will likely be assigned a project in a research lab. Independent study credit for the six to 10 week programs may be assigned on an individual basis. The program at Compiegne will cater to first year students. Keenan hopes that the summer internship in Compiegne will encourage students to also spend their junior year there. The other three programs are intended for juniors, although Keenan said the internships are not closed to sophomores. The internship in Israel will be partially funded through a donation to the school. The other three interns will not receive any financial support. The Engineering School currently has formal study abroad programs in Compiegne, Edinburgh, and two colleges in London, England. Keenan would like to add several more. "Our hope is that these internships would be the first step," Keenan said. The Nursing School plans to utilize the existing programs in Lyon, France, and Leuven, Belgium, according to Mary Naylor, associate dean of Nursing. Nursing students at Lyon will do independent study in nursing and health care in addition to the classes in French language and culture. The University now has a summer program in Leuven and is planning a semester-long one. The Nursing School will also add an independent study to the summer program. Naylor would also like to start an exchange in England, although no plans have been made yet. Nursing students can fulfill nursing requirements at Hebrew University and Edinburgh.