Calling for greater activism from campus fraternity and sorority members, University Board of Trustees Vice Chairperson Gloria Chisum urged students to take a greater interest in community activities in a speech in Bodek Lounge Monday. The 30-minute speech kicked off Greek Week, a series of events designed to introduce freshman and other students to fraternity and sorority life at at the University. Chisum, a former Alpha Kappa Alpha sister at Haverford College, encouraged students to be responsible with their freedom by participating in the enrichment of the University and of the greater community. "I urge you to be creative in outreach and promote broader association within the University community," Chisum said. She said she hoped through greater participation, Greeks could improve their poor reputation attributable to the behavior of "just a few." Chisum added that fraternity and sorority members should concentrate on being builders, not destroyers. "Those who build leave a heritage, but destroyers deprive themselves and others from something valuable," she said. In her conclusion, Chisum asked that Greek Week be a symbol of outreach to the University and the community, urging fraternity and sorority members to "enrich the community and yourselves." Bruce Forman, Interfraternity Council vice-president for rush, said that he agreed with the idea that there exists an "untapped potential [for service] in the Greek system." Forman added that Chisum's speech was important in setting the tone for the week. Other Greek leaders said they were also pleased with Chisum's speech and found the topic very relevant to the goals of Greek Week. "It was important that she talked about responsibilities of the Greek system to its members and to the University and vice versa," said Black InterGreek Council President Marisa Sifontes.