Of all the free-roaming wildlife in North America, none is as prominent at the University as the first-year student -- freshus ignoramus. Arriving at the University in massive groups each autumn, these seasonal mammals tend to nest in the Quadrangle and at Hill House, feeding at such locales as Stouffer Dining Commons. But this exotic group is perhaps best known by upperclassmen and other nature lovers for its bizarre migratory patterns, specifically its tendency to travel from place to place in gigantic groups of up to a dozen, surrounded by hallmates of all kinds. Despite the phenomenon, University professors and freshmen themselves have recently theorized that this species-wide occurrence is not caused by some inherent genetic trait. Psychology professor Justin Aronfreed says the genetic explanation for the large packs is a "myth [perpetuated] in order to make interesting copy." "I'm not sure there is anything specific about a freshman mind, and I don't see that they are all that different," Aronfreed said. "There is no scientific evidence to look at that shows that freshmen are different . . . It's not their dispositions, but the structure of the subculture." Whether or not the freshmen are genetically different from other students may be irrelevant, however. Most agree that, for whatever reason, they are there clogging up Locust Walk every fall. Psychology professor John Sabini called the mass freshman migrations "not surprising," and said that such grouping patters are normal for any new species entering a foreign biosphere. "Freshmen are something of an outgroup because they are newcomers to a culture," Sabini said. And Aronfreed said that the conglomerations are more the fault of an outside force -- namely the University's scheduling. "The administration causes them to be at the same place at the same time," said Aronfreed, citing freshmen seminars and freshmen dormitories. "They are structured [together] by the temporary social scaffolding that the University gives." Freshmen themselves emphasize that the flocking phenomenon is strictly temporary and is induced largely by a feeling of culture shock. "In the beginning, they feel more secure in large groups," College freshman Edward Skyler said. He added that they travel in smaller groups "as soon as things start settling down, and they feel more comfortable." College freshman Melissa Brecher said the groupings are practical because they provide "more people to talk to." "Its kind of a security thing . . . you want to feel you have more friends," Brecher said. "The more people you hang out with, the more people you have bonded with . . . I just travel with whoever comes to meet me." College freshman Sandra Choo agreed freshmen do tend to travel around in packs, but provided a different reason -- "because we don't want to be mugged."