Valerie Swain-Cade, Cheyney University's newly appointed interim president, said she and President Sheldon Hackney will work to forge a partnership between the University and the historically black school. Cade, who currently serves as the assistant provost and assistant to the president, said yesterday that Hackney told her that the University will work with Cheyney for the mutual benefit of the two institutions. Cade said she did not know how Hackney would support Cheyney. Hackney was out of town yesterday and could not be reached for comment. Cade was appointed Friday as interim president at Cheyney, a Chester County school which is facing several problems including a $7 million deficit. She will begin a year-long leave of absence from the University on October 1. The deficit contributed to the resignation of former president LaVerne McCummings on August 1. The search will continue for a permanent successor -- a position for which Cade will also be considered. Cade said yesterday her 15 years at the University have provided her with many opportunities for professional growth. She called the possibility of a partnership, which would allow the two schools to work together, "unprecendented." Cade also emphasized that the the partnership will allow the University to share the "wealth of history and resources that Cheyney University can offer." Cade also said that since she has never been affiliated with a historically black school, she will be able to give people at Cheyney an increased appreciation of the "nurturing and emotional support" minority students can receive in that environment. Cade said Hackney nominated her for the position of Cheyney's interim president. She said the University has been supportive and allowed her to pursue projects she was interested in, despite the fact that she calls herself "a bit non-traditional." Cade has been at the University since 1978 in various administrative positions ranging from faculty master at DuBois College House, executive assistant to the provost and director for Commonwealth Programs. Those who have worked with Cade said yesterday that Cheyney has made "an outstanding choice," but added that she will be missed. Affirmative Action Director Joann Mitchell said that Cade's appointment is both a compliment for her and for the University. Mitchell also said that Cade has had the foresight to plan programs which can continue to succeed in her absence. Allen Green, the director of the African-American Resource Center, praised Cade for her work in a number of programs, particularly in projects which encourage minority students to go on to graduate school. Green said he worries about the lack of minorities and women in high administrative positions and said Cade's leaving make this dearth more evident. "It is almost like a crisis now that one person is leaving," Green said. Linda Koons, the executive assistant to the provost, said that nobody has decided who will replace Cade during her leave.