President Bush will meet with University researchers at the Veterans' Administration Hospital Thursday as part of an afternoon-long trip to Philadelphia. Afterwards, he will speak to the staff of the VA medical center and the University's Substance Abuse Treatment Research Center, which is located on 38th Street immediately south of campus. O'Brien, who is the director of the VA's Addiction Research Center, has gone to the White House before to discuss his research with the president. He said last night Bush has had a continuing interest in his work, adding that he is excited about the presidential visit. "No president has gone to a VA hospital in the last 20 years," O'Brien said. Bush's visit to the VA is the first stop during his visit to Philadelphia, White House advance coordinator Bobby Carr said Monday. The president will land in a helicopter on campus early Thursday afternoon and will be taken to the VA in a 40-car motorcade, Jarvis said. Bush has not scheduled any other appearances at the University. The president is coming to Philadelphia to attend a fundraiser for former Pennsylvania Governor Richard Thornburgh, who served in Bush cabinet for three years as attorney general. The fundraiser, which will raise money for Thornburgh's senate campaign, will be held in Center City at the Bellvue-Stratford Hotel. In preparation for the president's visit to the VA, several roads in the area will be closed Thursday afternoon. The Schuylkill Expressway will closed in both directions from University Avenue to Grays Ferry after 3:30. Other roads in the area that will be closed are: · The University Avenue exit ramp, between 3:30 and 4:15 p.m. · University Avenue between 3:30 to 4 and 5 to 5:30 in the area including Grays Ferry, 38th Street, Baltimore Avenue, Woodland Avenue, Convention Avenue, and Med Drive. · University Avenue between Grays Ferry and Convention Avenue between 6:15 and 6:45. Signs have been posted around campus telling students and faculty who oppose Bush and Thornburgh's policies to show up for a rally at the Bellvue-Stratford at 5 p.m. Thursday. Staff reporter Roxanne Patel contributed to this story.