The University's contract with one of the largest unions on campus ran out last Friday, but officials on both sides were able to avert any problems by concluding a new agreement before time ran out. Local 835, whose membership includes physical plant, mail service workers and parking attendants, numbers about 240 on campus, making it the one of the largest campus labor organizations. New Vice President for Human Resources Barry Stupine, who officially took over his post on Monday, said the new three-year agreement was also ratified by the union's members on Friday. "It's a good contract for the employees and for the University," he said this week, declining to detail the agreement's specifics. Jack Heuer, the University's labor relations manager said that he was not surprised that the contract was successfully negotiated and ratified. "We have a very good relationship with our unions because there are no surprises," he said. "We bargain at the table -- we don't bargain through any other medium." Union leaders were unavailable for comment this week. Three more of the University's six union contracts will expire over the summer, Heuer added. On July 1, the University's agreement with the union which counts librarians as its members will expire and on August 1, the contracts with the University's housekeepers and Police Force will end. Members of the University Police will vote July 2 on their "bargaining unit," possibly changing or eliminating union affiliation entirely, Stupine said. Three years ago, campus police officers held a 45-day walk-out after their contract expired and before a new agreement with the University could be reached, forcing supervisors and officer workers to take 12-hour shifts six days a week and effectively paralyzing the University's security force. Stupine got right to work, settling a new three-year contract with one of the University's largest unions. Please see story on page 6. 'We have a very good relationship with our unions because there are no surprises. We bargain at the table -- we don't bargain through any other medium. ' Jack Heuer Manager of Labor Relations