The University's Medical Center will continue to provide abortion counseling and, through a restructuring of the obstetrics and gynocology department, will also continue to receive recently restricted government funding. The decision to continue to receive funds and provide abortion counseling, comes as a response to a recent Supreme Court ruling which restricts abortion counseling by organizations receiving Title X funding from the government. Proponents of abortion restriction yesterday decried the move, calling on the University to stop the disputed counseling. Michael Mennuti, chairperson of the obstetrics and gynocology department, the department which receives the funding at the University, defended the move. "We will continue to accept funding, trying to determine how reasonably we can stay in compliance [with the new ruling]," Mennuti said. "We are restructuring ourselves without cutting services." The recent Supreme Court ruling on Rust v. Sullivan upheld a law which bans any organization from providing, advising or discussing abortion while it receives Title X grants from the federal government. "The funds provide comprehensive care," said FPCSP spokesperson Sarah Grambs earlier this month. "It includes 'options counseling,' pregnancy counseling, Pap smears and counseling on the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases." Proponents of abortion restriction said they were concerned that the University's stance was illegal. "At a time when morality and ethics are needed the most, a university decides to not only encourage students to kill their children, but also how to defraud the federal government," said spokesperson Wendy Wright of Operation Rescue -- a vocal organization that in the past has tried to close abortion clinics around the country. "[Are] these are the kind of people we're trusting our generation to?" she said. Mennuti said that there were three paths that his department could have chosen to follow. The first option was to stop receiving funds and continue to provide the abortion counseling, but Menutti said this choice would critically hamper the program. "We could turn back the funding and function how we want to function," Menutti said Monday. "[But,] family planning is very expensive, which would mean that we would offer less services." The second alternative was to continue receiving the funds and break the law by also providing abortion counseling. However, Menutti said that the department did not want to be in violation of the law. "If we were to accept money but not comply . . . people would be held responsible," Menutti said. "I am sure that HUP will maintain its integrity," Grambs added this week. The final and chosen option was to restructure the department so that it could receive funds while simultaneously providing abortion counseling. "We will restructure what we do, until [the law] is changed," Mennuti said. "I would love to think that this [law] is temporary so that we can provide the services that we want to." Spokespersons for the Supreme Court said earlier this week that the June 17 deadline was not applicable to the University, rather, only effecting the court proceedings. Planned Parenthood which has openly opposed the Supreme Court decision said that they were pleased with the University's reaction. "The University has arranged it in a way that will allow them to continue advising women about abortion," Planned Parenthood spokesperson Jacqueline Brinkley said. "A lot of groups around the country are trying to do that." "The University of Pennsylvania is committed to continue serving women, and that's important," Brinkley added. Elizabeth Berryman, staff counsel member for the Medical Center declined to comment Monday on the decision.