The University has long been a forum for issues concerning discrimination against women, blacks, gay men and lesbians. But until recently, the issue of age discrimation has been overlooked. At colleges and universities across the nation, professors are routinely forced to retire upon reaching age 70. The University is no exception, as professors are retired on the June 30th following their 70th birthday, according to Deputy Provost Richard Clelland. The 1986 Age Discrimination in Employment Act, which outlawed age discrimination, made an exception for college professors, still forcing them to retire at age 70. This exception runs out in 1994, at which time universities will no longer be legally allowed to force instructors to retire. A recent National Research Council study on how ending mandatory retirement would effect universities recommends that the exception be allowed to expire. The National Education Association, an influential educators' union, recently came out in support of the study. "We think that educators should be allowed to decide when they retire," said Christine Maitland, NEA higher education coordinator. Now, faced with the imminent change in national policy, the University is preparing for the expiration by forming a task force to study its effects. "I think we'll have some problems after 1993, but we'll work through them," said Clelland, who is on the task force. "It's just a new state of nature and we will adapt to it." And according to the NRC study, the new "state" will not be a very difficult one to adapt to, as most professors will still voluntary retire before 70. "The vast majority of the faculty will continue to retire as they always do," Maitland said. "It allows . . .the small percentage that want to continue past age 70 [to teach.]" "The trend nationwide has been to earlier retirement," added Jerry Rosenbloom, a task force member and Wharton professor. Some have argued that without a mandatory retirement age, tenure position will not become available to young professors as quickly. The NRC study refutes this claim, but has left some unconvinced. "There are some faculty members who would like to stay on," Clelland, adding that "the speed with which new positions open up," may slow down. Peter Cassileth, chairperson of the task force, was unavailable for comment.