Many University students may have a hard time with calculus -- or even balancing their checkbooks. But if a recent study by career counselors is correct, they better brush up on their long division. Teaching, the survey said, was the first job choice among 1990 College graduates, reflecting a national trend of increasing interest among college graduates in public service employment. The survey was conducted by Teach for America, a program designed for graduates who are interested, but did not major, in education. To participate in the program, graduates spend two years teaching in school districts that have teacher shortages, usually ones in urban and rural areas. For the first time, according to the survey, students cited the "tight job market" as being a major factor in their job selection. "Teaching fulfills students' desires to do something useful and it is less recession-prone than most jobs," said Assistant Director of Career Planning and Placement Peggy Curchack. Curchack said the economy, increased teaching salaries and students feeling more comfortable delaying careers were all major factors in choosing teaching. "It buys time and is also a choice that is giving something back," she added. This year's College graduates continued to seek jobs teaching. The Teach for America program received 30 applications from College students, 16 of whom were accepted and will enter the program this summer. "Teach for America has been very important for public relations," Curchack said. "It put teaching out there." "[I have been] working in West Philadelphia for three years [and] it is amazing what kids have to put up with," he said, noting drugs and poor teachers as two major problems. Although Teach for America is only a two year commitment, Ruckdeschel hopes to continue teaching for four or five years before going to graduate school. "It's definitely going to be a challenge," he said. "Discipline is a big problem, but I'm going to try to give them something to look forward to." College senior Kimberly Jacobson, a Spanish major, will begin teaching bilingual education in Los Angeles this fall. She said she applied to Teach for America because she enjoys working with children, and she wants to make sure she likes teaching before she gets her Master's degree. "I went with some friends to buy their first business suit this year," Jacobson said. "I couldn't see myself working in an office," she said. Jacobson also said she sees the need to improve the public school system, and hopes working in an urban school district will be an experience useful in a future government policy position. "I want to give equal opportunity of education to everyone," Jacobson said. "Not just those who can affort it." Jacobson knows the next two years will be difficult. She said her biggest challenges will be "getting kids off the street and into class." To do this, she hopes to provide an interesting class and discipline to her students. "I'm worried I'm getting into a situation over my head, but I'm just going to jump in and do it for two years," she said. Teach for America, a program founded by a Princeton University graduate two years ago, currently places teachers in eight major urban and rural areas within five states. Candidates, who do not need teacher certification, must complete a rigorous application process to be placed. When accepted, recent graduates attend a six-week training session in Los Angeles followed by a two-week on-site induction to the school in which they will be teaching. Teachers are paid by the school, as regular school district faculty members.