You can't judge a book by its cover, but the Undergraduate Assembly thinks it's a pretty good start. At the first meeting of the UA since the annual spring elections, new Chairperson Mitch Winston announced that representatives will be expected to dress up for the bi-weekly meetings. Former Chairperson Duchess Harris last year instituted a similar code, but few members observed it. "It promotes a good image of the UA and people tend to have a more professional attitude when they have more professional dress," said Vice-Chairperson Ethan Youderian. As a "consensus" decision by the steering committee, the new code asks members to wear "at least collars," according to Winston. But Youderian said that "we recommend all male members come in jacket and tie and women members dress accordingly." Former Student Activities Council Chairperson Sue Moss said she thought the dress code "couldn't hurt" the group. She said SAC has long had an informal dress code for members of the steering and finance committees, who each give reports to the full body during the monthly meetings. "When you look presentable, people take you more seriously," she said. "It makes for a more productive atmosphere." The UA also discussed plans for improving Dining Services, with leaders announcing that members will be conducting surveys of students who use Dining Service this week. The survey will focus on the amount of food students waste in the University's dining halls. Members will monitor what food students throw away and ask them why they chose not to eat it. They will also weigh the amount of trash collected by the service. Winston said Dining Service Director William Canney will use those results in future planning. "It's a direct benefit to the student body," Winston said. "Those results will show in the menu and in the way food is served." Winston also presented the concluding report for the UA's tuition letter drive to press state legislators to maintain University funding. A UA petition drive to the University administration to keep need-blind admissions was also discussed. Leaders hope to collect at least 1000 signatures this week. "It's a direct signal from the students," Winston said. "It shows that we are immediately coming in and focusing on an issue that will affect the lives of the student body." Members also discussed the University Council's recent debate on the racial harassment policy. The members of the UA's Budget and Finance Committee were also elected. This committee allocates funds to each of the student government organizations, including the Student Activities Council, the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education and the Nominations and Elections Committee. The members are College sophomores Allison Bieber and David Rose.