Whether for speeding down Locust Walk or for casual riding in Fairmount Park, bicycling has become somewhat more convenient for the University community with last Friday's opening of Bicycle Express. The store, which is strategically located on 40th Street near Locust Street among Mt. Olympus, Smokey Joe's and the Post Office, appears to cater to every cyclist's needs. The shop is operated by owner Dave Kaplan who owns another bicycle shop in the city's Oak Lane section. Kaplan said that his Oak Lane shop has already received and delivered free of charge 100 orders for bikes from University students, adding that he expects the shop to draw a large student clientele. The prices of the bicycles range from $169 to $2000 and include mountain bikes, hybrids and 12-speeds. The shop also sells biking accessories, clothing and workers also make repairs. Bicycle Express also hires several college students, Kaplan said. The store currently employs students from Temple and La Salle universities, and Kaplan said he is interviewing several University students. He said he first became interested in bikes at the age of 15 when he was working for a bicycle shop and was involved in bike racing. He now has 13 years experience, which he demonstrated in answering the several technical questions customers asked him. He does not plan to branch out to sell other sports equipment, noting that Bicycle Express is a "specialty" store. He added that all employees at the store have demonstrated knowledge about bikes. "Bikes is what we do," Kaplan said. Kaplan said he expects the shop to do well because most students at the University do not have cars and find bikes useful to go downtown or around the city. This, Kaplan said, means that bikes constantly need repairs, tuning and spare parts. He said he expected the mountain bike to be the most popular item in the store. Bicycle Express Manager Hal Sachs said workers were up until 4 a.m. setting up the shop the night before its opening. Business appeared to be "very good" on the first day, according to Kaplan.