Speaking with universal praise, faculty and students of the Nursing School paid tribute to outgoing Dean Claire Fagin at a reception yesterday. Fagin, the University's "Dean of Deans", has held the post since 1977 and will continue at the University as a faculty member. The reception began with an introduction by Nursing graduate student Janice Foust. Describing Fagin as "very energetic, enthusiastic and dynamic," and speaking of her "enthusiasm for growth, learning and vision," Foust discussed the dean's career and praised her contributions to the University. She talked about the various programs that had been started under Fagin's deanship, such as the faculty and student exchange with Israel. She said that Fagin gave the Nursing School a "very strong professional identity and responsibility to contribute to the future." Nursing junior Christie Smith, president of the Undergraduate Nursing Forum, spoke on behalf of the undergraduates and said that Fagin "changed the nursing field forever and for better." Smith's statement was followed by an address by Leslie Sondeen, a Nursing junior. Sondeen said that under Fagin, the University's virtually unknown nursing program had blossomed into one of the best in the country. She added that it was Fagin who was responsible for making the Nursing School visible both on campus and internationally. Lisa D'Angelo, a Nursing graduate student, praised the outgoing dean for bringing "outstanding faculty and diverse programs" to the University. D'Angelo said that the Nursing students would "use this knowledge to create positive change." D'Angelo also talked about the challenges that the Nursing School prepares its students for. "[We will] create history and not merely react to it," she said. The final student speaker was Kathy Higgins, who represented doctoral students. Fagin accepted two gifts from students and faculty, and was given a standing ovation. Fagin spoke briely about her tenure as dean, thanking students for their comments and saying that the nursing profession would be in good hands with them in the future. "You are the reason for being," Fagin told students in the audience. She also said that she was assured that "this profession was in good hands."