School of Arts and Sciences Associate Dean Walter Wales will become acting SAS dean on July 1, when current Dean Hugo Sonnenschein officially leaves to become provost of Princeton University. Wales, who was SAS' acting dean before Sonnenschein came to the University in the fall of 1988, will serve as dean until the school's search committee names Sonnenschein's replacement. Sonnenschein, who was named Princeton's provost in February and is concluding a nearly three-year stay as SAS dean, said last night that "I and so many others in the School of Arts and Sciences have enormous trust and confidence in Dean Wales." "He is one of the great patriots of the institution," Sonnenschein added. "I'm delighted that he has agreed to serve in this way." The search committee, which began meeting two weeks ago, is accepting nominations for the dean of Arts and Sciences, and although several administrators and faculty said they hoped the new dean would be announced before Sonnenschein's departure, the Wales' appointment may signal a longer search period. Wales, who teaches Physics and was awarded the Ira Abrams Award for Distinguished Teaching last year, has been associate dean in the College for the past nine years. Wales, who does not anticipate being named to the post permanently, said last night that as acting dean he will maintain the present course of the school. "I have been in the office for quite a while," Wales said. "I'm reasonably familiar with the operation." Wales' appointment will mark the beginning of the seventh dean's term in the sixteen year history of SAS.