There are no strings holding back Stimulus Children's Theater's new show Pinocchio, which will open tonight in Houston Hall Room 245. In James Leary's free adaptation of the classic fairy tale, Stimulus presents a fun-filled musical extravaganza that will appeal to kids of all ages. Pinocchio is Stimulus' fourth production, and the first to be produced in the spring semester. The company's previous productions were Snoopy in 1988, Really Rosie in 1989 and last fall's highly successful Free To Be You And Me. "The purpose of Stimulus is to perform to kids who don't usually see theater," said Pinocchio's director Jen Marlowe yesterday. Marlowe, a College sophomore, has performed in two Stimulus shows to date, and Pinocchio is her directoral debut. "It's been a challenge," she admitted. "But all the performers have been very enthusiastic. They all want to work with kids." After playing three nights at the University, Pinocchio will perform 11 more shows at elementary schools, children's hospitals and children's centers all over Philadelphia. "The kids think it's real, and they love it," said College sophomore Derek Braslow, who also performed in Free To Be You And Me. "It's forty minutes of getting away from reality and going back to your childhood dreams." Performed with energy and conviction by a co-ed cast of eight students, last night's dress rehearsal was a colorful, if somewhat clumsy mix of music and mirth. Although a few of the actor's voices were ill-equipped for the plethora of musical numbers, their rambunctious charm more than compensated for their wavering tones. College senior Margarita Drinker bought a boyish vigor to the play's puppet protagonist, and she was admirably supported by the uniformly entertaining cast, although College senior Peter Harris' sleazy puppetmaster and College junior Leslie Schneider's sly fox were particularly memorable. Children will get a kick from the colorful costumes and striking make-up, although their patience may be tested by some lengthy segments of exposition that lack the energy of the musical interludes. Pinocchio is an infectious confection that will please kids and grown-ups alike. People would have to have a wooden heart not to like this one. Pinocchio will play in Room 245 of Houston Hall tonight, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets are $1, and are available on Locust Walk or at the door.