In a four-hour speech entitled "Rap and Racism," two members of the rap group Public Enemy claimed that there is pervasive racism in the U.S., especially in corporate, educational and political institutions. Speaking before a full house at Irvine Auditorium, the group's main performer, Chuck D., and public relations manager Harry Allen placed the blame for many of the black community's social problems on white institutions. As is typical of the group's often-militant music, the speech had a confrontational tone as both Chuck D. and Allen called for black empowerment and "reparations" from the white community for injustices against blacks. Speaking first, Allen, who is called the group's "Media Assassin," gave an autobiographical account of his experiences with racism in the U.S. Allen spoke of his experiences as a writer at his college newspaper and later at New York's the Village Voice. He said he and his editors often disagreed on issues involving race, and attributed this difference to a naivete bordering on racism on the part of white editors. Directing his remarks at the black members of the audience, Allen hammered at the need for blacks to understand racism and claimed that white supremacists and their institutions perpetuate the powerlessness and lesser status of blacks. "Understand racism or everything else you do will confuse you," he said. Allen cited a book by Nelly Fuller called Textbook for Victims of White Supremacy in making several suggestions for dealing with racism. He emphasized the need for blacks to watch the words of non-whites, saying these are the racist's tools of deception. Allen also put emphasis on the need for honest exchange of information and verbal civility between blacks and non-whites, and the need to halt all interracial sex. Allen ended his speech, as he began it, with a disclaimer, saying that his views and facts may be erroneous and apologizing for any inaccuracies. Chuck D., whose real name is Carlton Ridenhour, also gave a semi-autobiographical speech. He opened by saying a recent Los Angeles police beating of a black man is typical and representative of the treatment of blacks by the police and most institutions in America. "The police are here to protect and serve, but to protect and serve who?" he asked. Chuck D. also said the nation's educational system is tailored for whites and fails to provide blacks with the means to succeed in America. He blamed corporate institutions for tailoring jobs for whites and the media for stifling the voices of blacks. He centered much of his speech on urging blacks to gain media power for themselves. He said said white-controlled media has prevented black communities from disseminating timely information, crucial to blacks, on a national scale. As a result, it has been difficult for blacks to unify nationally, he said. Chuck D. added that communications are a necessary first step in uniting blacks across the nation and mobilizing them against institutional racism. He said the government should give black leadership a CNN-like news network to meet the communications needs of blacks in America. He said this would be a step toward reparations for over 400 years of white American oppression. Chuck D. said he began his involvement in the media with these communications issues in mind, first as a disc jockey at a college radio station and later as head rapper of Public Enemy. He said he has used rap as a medium to carry his message throughout America. He said Public Enemy's music reflects important issues in the black community. In closing, he appealed to the audience to create new leadership, especially in the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the Urban League. He said the old leaders were worn out and black youth are turning to rappers as leaders by default. Although the messages of Allen and Chuck D. were somewhat militant, the consensus among audience members was positive. Davette Shorter, a Wharton junior, said she thought "the speakers were excellent." "I believe they addressed issues that needed to be addressed within the black community," she said. "Chuck D. is someone the black people may be able to rally behind and look upon as a leader." College sophomore David Abramson said he thought the white supremacism Allen and Chuck D. rallied against was "definitely a force, but not as prominent as they say." He said he felt they were not entirely objective. College junior Robert Engs said he understood Allen's message. "I think Harry Allen was probably the best part of the show," he said. "This University is a prime example of everything he said." Only about half of the audience remained for the almost four-hour speech, but nearly all of the audience stayed for at least 90 minutes. At the start of the speech, the entire auditorium, including the balconies, was nearly filled. College sophomore Bill King, however, was disappointed even more students didn't hear the speech. "The people who weren't here tonight were the ones who really needed it," he said.