Following a trend of growth in the Greek system, about 50 men signed bids during the Interfraternity Council's optional spring rush, IFC Vice President for Rush Bruce Forman said Wednesday night. Approximately 400 men signed bids during the IFC's official rush period last fall, Forman said. He added there were no problems with this spring's informal rush and all the houses were pleased with the turnout. IFC spring rush is an optional process in which a chapter can choose to participate. Most houses took part in this year's spring rush to increase membership in their new chapter or to offset the number of members they will lose to graduation. The eight houses which held a spring rush were Sigma Nu, Phi Kappa Sigma, Acacia, Delta Upsilon, Kappa Alpha Society, Phi Kappa Psi, Pi Lambda Phi and Sigma Phi Epsilon. A fraternity's next opportunity to recruit new members will be during next fall's IFC rush which will tentatively be held from September 22 to October 26, said Forman at a January IFC meeting. The optional spring rush which began on January 18 was supposed to be followed by the return of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity to campus. But Forman said the DTD national organization has decided to re-charter next fall. DTD wanted to have a spring pledge class, said Forman, but added they felt they did not have enough time "to educate them" about the fraternity. The Wharton junior said DTD will have a rush for sophomores and juniors during the regularly-scheduled IFC rush next fall. They added that the fraternity may hold a special freshman rush immediately after the fall rush period or in the following spring. Forman said the addition of DTD will attract an even more diverse group of students to the Greek system, adding to the trend already happening on campus. "We continue to expand the base of fraternity members," said the Tau Epsilon Phi brother. "[We] are very pleased in the diversity of members who accepted bids and rushed houses this spring."