In a move designed to alleviate space crunch problems that currently plague performing arts groups, the Office of University Life will take control of the Annenberg School Auditorium next semester, making it easier for the groups to use the 400-seat facility. In the past, the Annenberg School of Communications has regulated the the theater -- one of the most desired campus performing spaces available -- but Annenberg officials no longer wanted to pay for the cost of maintenance, according to Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson. Although Morrisson said the transfer of control is only "basically a financial change," negotiations with Annenberg School Dean Kathleen Jamieson will allow the theater to be "a more widely available University facility." The theater has been a major point of contention for the Performing Arts Council, which has claimed that it is very difficult for students to gain access to the theater. PAC and several performing groups have said for years that their practice and performance times have been severely limited because of a lack of appropriate spaces to use on campus. Many also have said that when there are good facilities to use, they are often being used by non-performing groups. Currently, even if a group is allocated use of the Annenberg School Theatre, it is still required to pay a rental fee of about $350 a week. Starting next semester, however, an advisory board composed of faculty and students involved in the performing arts will decide on a rental fee, if any, and on who will use the theatre. According to Vice Provost Morrisson, University performing arts groups will receive top priority on the use of the theatre. Other University groups will receive second priority, with groups outside the University receiving third. "I see it as a benefit not only to student performing groups, [but also because] it is using a space to its fullest," Morrisson said. Performing arts groups now require theater space for about eight to 10 weeks out of the year, according to Kathryn Helene, coordinator for student performing arts. Performing Arts Council President Stuart Gibbs praised the decision, saying that the increase availability of the theaters will help performers. The control of the new theatre will "certainly be very helpful," Gibbs, a College senior, said this week. "It's one of the best theaters on campus."