President Sheldon Hackney and Provost Michael Aiken charged the School of Arts and Sciences Dean search committee yesterday, nearly a month after Dean Hugo Sonnenschein announced he will assume Princeton University's provost position. The search committee, which includes eight faculty, one undergraduate, one graduate student and a University Trustee, will begin meeting this month in its search for a suitable replacement. Aiken and Hackney told the 11-member committee to nominate three to five candidates, from which the provost and president will choose the new dean. Aiken said yesterday he would like the nominations by the end of the academic year "if possible," and added that the committee has been instructed to look both inside and outside SAS for a new dean. "We don't have a deadline," committee Chairperson Lawrence Bernstein said last night. "But it's clear that if it's possible, [the committee] should have the nominations by the time Dean Sonnenschein leaves." The committee will begin its deliberations next week and will meet "no less than once a week," Bernstein added. The charge given to the committee, according to Bernstein, was broad and basic, although members were asked to keep open the possibility of minority candidates. The committee will select the most qualified candidates, regardless of race or gender, Bernstein said, adding that the committee is "looking for a candidate who can set the academic tone for the SAS, someone with proven leadership abilities." Aiken similarly called on the committee to select "an outstanding academic leader who can provide a vision for the school and continue the momentum of the school and who can also be successful in finding additional resources." The committee members are Physics Professor David Balamuth, Associate English Professor Rebecca Bushnell, Sociology Professor Samuel Preston, Psychology Professor John Sabini, Economics Professor Beth Allen, Music Department Chairperson Lawrence Bernstein, History Professor Mary Berry, Graduate School of Education Dean Marvin Lazerson, College sophomore Niranjan Karnik, anthropology graduate student Julie Pearce and Trustee Gloria Chisum.