As part of a new and unprecedented program at the University, 13 University students will have a chance to experience Soviet culture and society first hand as part of an exchange with Moscow State University this spring. Randolph said that despite the upheaval in the country, the University is still going ahead with its plans, and 13 Soviet students from Moscow State University are scheduled to visit the University in March. University students in the program will travel to Moscow after spring semester finals in May and tour the capital city as well as Leningrad. Virtually all expenses will be paid by the School of Arts and Sciences. "It is an initiative by the provost to . . . make students aware of the realities of the Soviet Union," said Slavic Studies Professor Peter Steiner yesterday. Randolph said that the program is aimed at students who have never traveled to the Soviet Union before, but have an interest in the region. Students do not need to have to have any knowledge of Russian in order to participate in the exchange program, but must supply two recommendations which indicate "a capacity to function in a foreign environment." "I think it is an interesting initiative for those not studying slavic languages," Randolph said. "It is really a familiarization program, rather than a foreign studies program." Students in good academic standing who will not graduate this year can submit applications to Slavic Languages Professor Peter Steiner. Applications must be submitted by February 8th and include a college transcript, a one page essay describing the academic benefit that the student will receive from the program, and two letters of recommendation. Selected students will serve as informal hosts for the Soviet visitors in March and will travel with the students to New York and Washington, D.C.