President Sheldon Hackney has nominated his former chief-of-staff, Barbara Stevens, to be the new secretary of the University, replacing 10-year Secretary Mary Ann Meyers. Stevens, whose appointment must be officially approved by the University Trustees at their meeting next Friday, will start her new job in March, nearly two years after her departure from campus. The former administrative aid to Hackney's new duties will include acting as a liaison between the Trustees and the administration. She will also arrange University ceremonies, including commencement and convocations. Stevens said yesterday she is excited to be returning to the University at what she termed an "interesting time in higher education." She said her experience in the president's office is valuable because it allowed her to become familiar with important University issues like financial aid and the ongoing capital campaign. Hackney said this week that Stevens "has everyone's respect," and that her appointment has been lauded by many administrators and faculty members. "She has a wonderful way of working with a wide variety of people," Hackney said. "She will be a good liaison between the University and the Trustees." Since leaving the University in 1989, Stevens has worked with the New Haven Downtown Council, an organization which helps with the economic development of New Haven, Connecticut. She is currently president of the council, which includes the leaders of the city's major businesses and institutions. Stevens said her greatest responsibility as secretary will be to keep the Trustees informed about all issues and events on campus. Stevens will replace former Secretary Mary Ann Meyers, who left the University in late November to become president of the Annenberg Foundation, a philanthropic organization started by University Trustees Walter and Leonore Annenberg. Meyers, who worked with Stevens during the 1980s, commended her replacement, calling Stevens a "talented woman," and saying that the "University will benefit" from her return. University Associate Secretary Gail Levin will remain as acting-secretary until Stevens starts her new position in March.