Social Planning and Events Committee Treasurer Lisa Nass will lead the organization next semester after being elected president last night on a platform of improved communication within the organization. Nass, a College sophomore, defeated Spring Fling chairperson Todd Fruchterman for SPEC's top post. In their campaigns, both candidates promised to restore unity to the organization, saying conflicts between the executive board and the steering committee often caused division within the organization. Nass said the merger of several previously autonomous organizations in creating SPEC this year also led to conflicts. But the new president said she does not expect the problems to be repeated next semester because members of the organization have learned to work together. And with the election of the current board, Nass said, many conflicts should be resolved, adding that communication will be improved by opening executive board meetings to all SPEC members. Nass also said she wants to include more minorities in the group. "There's no reason why a University-wide activity shouldn't draw students from across the University," Nass said. To help get input from the University community, Nass said she will lead an open forum, focusing on how SPEC can better serve students. Nass also said that "in the best interests of the students," SPEC should become independent of the Undergraduate Assembly so that the group will not become embroiled in politics. Rao said the next executive board will not need to concern itself as much with establishing SPEC's legitimacy. Also elected to the executive board last night were: Jason Schlanger, executive vice president; Lincoln Singleton, vice president for public relations; Stacey Wruble, vice president for membership; and Ruth Center, treasurer. There were no candidates for secretary and the position was left unfilled.