Students in the unrenovated Quad have traditionally come to expect living with some minor inconveniences. However, virtually no one thought that cold rooms would be one of them. But Monday night, as a result of a malfunctioning heating unit, several rooms in Butcher, Speakman, and Class of '28 houses were left without heat. Joe Botta, the Physical Plant superintendent of mechanical services, said that a broken electrical valve was responsible for the malfunctioning heater. Botta added that until the part is delivered, the machine will be operated manually. Botta said that the steam heater normally works fine, but earlier this week, the machine, which is located in the Butcher dormitory basement, was covered with rust and residents said it has been making strange noises. And despite the breakdown, only certain rooms reported to be effected by the unit's malfunction. "The heater must have been blowing cold air or not working," said Wharton freshman Wendy Simmon." When I got up the room was freezing." Earlier this semester, the University lowered temperatures in residential buildings from 72 degrees to 68 degrees. The malfunctioning heater made the rooms even colder. Manuel Roman, a spokesperson for the Tenant Action Group, a city-run housing watchdog organization, said yesterday that Philadelphia law requires that tenants be provided with at least "68 degrees of current heat between October 1 and April 30 any dates when the temperature is below 60 degrees outside." He urged students who have further heat problems to call the City Hall Hotline at 686-2590. Additionally, students who have problems with their heat are also urged to call Residential Maintenence.