The University's Student Health Service received accreditation last week by one of the nation's top health organizations, joining an exclusive list of only 17 other college health offices which have received the honor. Student Health Director MarJeanne Collins said she was notified by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Organizations' ambulatory care division last week that Student Health's application for accreditation was approved. The JCAHO is a national accrediting body which sets standards for health care quality and evaluates various health services. Many people who work with Student Health were pleased by the accreditation by the JCAHO. "[Being accredited] made me feel terrific," said Collins. "The staff worked hard and it was exciting to achieve that goal." Student Health staff physician Janice Hillman, who co-chaired a committee to aid the accreditation process, said that accreditation was extremely significant to Student Health. "Accreditation helps us to maintain our high quality health care, and it helps us to find where our strengths and weaknesses are," said Hillman. Wharton senior Joe Porcelli, chairperson of the Student Health Advisory Board, said that he was pleased by the news. "The accreditation process is an important step for Student Health," he said. Receiving accreditation by the JCAHO is a very prestigious and selective honor, Collins said. Only 17 college health services have previously received accreditation by the JCAHO, according to Collins. Collins added that American College Health Association views JCAHO as the premiere organization to accredit larger health services such as the University's. "Accreditation says the Health Service meets the highest standard that has been set," said Collins. Brown University is the only other Ivy League school to be accredited by the JCAHO. Collins said that the evaluation process involved two members of the JCAHO who rigorously examined all aspects of Student Health's operation over a two-day period and then offered suggestions for improvements, with short return trips to ensure the recommendations had been implemented. Other than prestige and recognition, accreditation offers few tangible benefits to Student Health, Collins said. She added that the accreditation will have no impact on research activites at Student Health, although it may aid in attracting top quality practicioners. Hillman emphasized that accreditation is an ongoing process and that organizations which have received it must maintain their quality of health care. The JCAHO will re-evaluate Student Health after three years. Porcelli said that Student Health's connection with SHAB played an important part in the accreditation process. He said that the JCAHO stresses health services' communication with the community at large, and SHAB's weekly survey of patients at Student Health was a major asset.