By the time they get to college, most students have stopped making their yearly trick-or-treat rounds and have traded in their pillowcases and plastic pumpkins for bulk packs and pocket protectors. Nonetheless, by late yesterday afternoon most stores around campus were nearly out of bite-sized candy, and students were lining up to buy black and orange streamers, face-paint and cardboard cats and pumpkins to tape to their dorm-room windows. As the hour grew late, some turned into witches, ghosts and red-haired rag dolls, or donned any one of a range of other getups. Some couldn't even wait until nightfall, and paraded down Locust Walk in their costumes on the way to class. The film Phantom of the Opera played at Irvine Auditorium, accompanied by appropriately eerie music from the Curtis Organ, and parties sprung up on and off campus. But not all of yesterday's fun was had at college parties. At the University, Halloween has traditionally been a time to spread the cheer -- to say nothing of the chocolate -- to grade-school students. Various groups spent time this week holding parties and walking trick-or-treat routes with children from the area. Please see page 3 for a roundup of Halloween events on campus.