Student government leaders spoke to the representatives of about 180 student groups last night in an attempt to convince them that their groups have a stake in the restructuring of student goverment. Many of the Student Activities Council members were unfamiliar with recent attempts to restructure student government. Last night's meeting was an attempt to explain what changes are being proposed. SAC Vice Chairperson Greg Shufro said he expects the meeting to prompt increased SAC input and participation in the constitutional convention. He said the representatives now have a better understanding of the role of student government and problems with the current structure. "Because the meeting explained to people what student government is, they can now make judgments about what student gvoernment should be," Shufro said. There was limited discussion of the two specific alternate government structures that have been proposed at the convention. Most of the meeting was spent addressing problems that SAC groups face and ways that student government can help resolve them. Issues included the cost of space for performing arts groups, the need for additional facilities for student groups, and the need for increased security on campus in repsonse to rising crime. Undergraduate Assembly Chairperson Duchess Harris said after the meeting that she thinks groups began to understand that an effective student government structure is important because it can address issues that affect these groups. "People started to understand that a constitutional convention really does apply to them and their groups and that an effective structure can help the debate club," Harris said.